Hector Neil McLean, a man of proud Scottish heritage after whom that Village is named, was born at Ellerston in the Hunter Valley, NSW on 5th December 1856.
Mr. McLean lived most of his life in Inverell, and was regarded as a very community-minded citizen. He served on Council, and was committed to a dream of establishing a Convalescent Hospital.
Upon his death, on 29th March 1932, a provision of Mr. McLean’s Will designated that a hospital be established on his property 'Killean', with stringent guidelines for the formation of an Honorary Board of Trustees to ensure perpetuity.
Development Time Line
A condition of Mr. Mclean’s will directed that the financial estate be invested for a period of ten years. This expired in the midst of World War II, which delayed the construction of the convalescent hospital until 1951, due to the difficulty of acquiring building materials. The founding stone was laid on 17th November 1951, and the building was completed in 1953.
During its period of operation, the hospital provided an essential service to Inverell and surrounds, and included facilities for recuperation following illness, surgery and childbirth. As transport improved, however, and convalescent-type care declined, it was recognised that a great void in aged care was developing.
The Board of Trustees decided in the 1960’s to convert the purpose of the convalescent hospital and adjoining land to provide services to older people.
In 1970, the complex was established as a Retirement Village, with the opening of a 44 bed Nursing Home and 6 Self Care Units, with the Convalescent Hospital converting to a 24 bed Hostel.
Six additional Self Care Units were constructed in 1982, and a further 6 bed extension added to the Nursing Home in 1984.
The Beresford Coward Hostel (50 Hostel beds), Chisholm Wing (an additional 50 nursing home beds), the Lavinia McFadyen Activities Lounge, and a service area in the Nursing Home were completed in 1989.
Arrawatta Lodge - 13 place Dementia Specific Hostel was completed and opened on the 28th February 1994. An additional 2 double Self Care Units, a conversion of part of the old hostel, were completed in August 1994.
2000 to 2005
In 2001 McLean Care® expanded into the provision of Community Care Services, acquiring the organisation’s first community care packages through a tender round.
A further 2 Units were completed in December 2002 and the 11 new “Goodwood” Villa Units opened in February 2005.
2006 to 2010
• July 2006 HN McLean Retirement Village became a company limited by guarantee
• Stage 3 of the “Goodwood” development was completed in 2007, with 9 new Villas opening
• Hector Wing, a 14 bed unit was opened in 2007
• Chisholm Wing was re-developed in 2007
• The kitchen and laundry redevelopment completed in 2007
• March 2009, the process for rebranding commenced and was finalised in 2010, and HN McLean Retirement Village became known as McLean Care® Ltd
• June 2009 purchase of a Tamworth private nursing service – Health Care at Home – was finalised
• Retirement of the first and long serving Chief Executive Officer - Paul Cook June 2009
• Mark Mudge appointed as CEO from 2009 to May 2010
• Kevin Klose appointed as CEO from August 2010 to November 2013
McLean Care® Ltd - now and beyond
McLean Care® remains a community owned, not for profit organisation, and with its focus on you, committed to finding solutions for you through this ageing journey.
McLean Care® now provides services to over 800 people, in an area of 105,000 square km’s, employing over 320 staff. McLean Care® has met all accreditation, certification, quality reporting and legislative requirements for all funded programs, and has been recognised on a regional basis as a leader in the provision of innovative and evidence-based quality aged care services.
Enriching experiences beyond all boundaries.
“A sincere thanks on behalf of those who went with the Wellness Group to the artesian baths at Moree, and how much pleasure the outing afforded us. From the time we were gathering to wait for the buses there was a buzz of excitement and wide smiles on faces. Being able to go to Moree is greatly appreciated, especially by those of our number who have arthritis.”